Belly dance is often considered kinder to the body than many other dance forms, and not many form of exercise carries some risks and we would like to invite you in our study, with the aim to give to belly dance the same importance of more famous dance forms.
The National Institute of Dance Medicine and Science, UK and the Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis, UK are carrying out an international study looking at the relationship between physical activity, other modifiable risk factors and health. With this study we seek to explore the long-term effect of physical activity, including dancing, and other risk factors (e.g. diet) and how these relate to the risk of disease, including osteoarthritis. All that we ask is that participants complete an online questionnaire, completely anonymous. No organization or individual participant will be identifiable. Taking part is entirely voluntary and everyone will be free to withdraw at any time.
CLICK HERE to access the survey
About the University
1881 - Nottingham’s first civic college
Nottingham's first civic college was opened in the city centre in 1881, four years after the foundation stone was laid by former Prime Minister, W E Gladstone. An anonymous benefactor had offered £10,000 for a college on condition that a suitable building be erected by the Council and that the college should be provided with £4,000 a year.
1928 - The move to University Park
After the First World War, the college outgrew its original building. A generous gift by Sir Jesse Boot, of 35 acres of land at Highfields, presented the solution and in 1928 the College moved to what is now the main campus, University Park. Initially, it was accommodated in the elegant Trent Building and was officially opened by King George V in November of that year.
Even in its early days on this site, the College attracted high profile visiting lecturers including Professor Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi and H G Wells.
1948 – Becoming The University of Nottingham
In 1948, the college was awarded the Royal Charter and became The University of Nottingham, now able to award degrees in its own name. During this period the School of Agriculture was established when the Midland College of Agriculture at Sutton Bonington merged with the University.
The University of Nottingham continued to grow and still focuses on its development.
- The Medical School: In 1970 we established the UK’s first Medical School in the 20th century, and in 1995 the School of Nursing was formed following the merger of the Mid-Trent College of Nursing and Midwifery. In 2003 a new campus was opened in Derby City General Hospital
- Jubilee Campus: The £50 million Jubilee Campus development opened in 1999 and subsequently phase two opened in March 2009. The campus has won numerous awards due to its environmentally-friendly features
- Malaysia Campus: The University opened a campus in Malaysia in 2000. Subsequently a new purpose-built park campus was opened in September 2005 in Semenyih, Malaysia, close to Kuala Lumpur International Airport
- King’s Meadow Campus: In March 2005 The University opened the King’s Meadow Campus in the former Carlton Television Studios. The campus is home to many of The University’s administrative and support units, Manuscripts and Special Collections and two television studios
- China Campus: The University admitted its first students in the city of Ningbo, China in 2004, and the purpose-built campus was formally opened in February 2006, as part of a joint venture. The University then became the first foreign university to establish an independent campus in China.
- School of Veterinary Medicine and Science: The University of Nottingham officially opened the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science in April 2007 (having admitted its first students in September 2006). It was the first purpose-built new veterinary school to be opened in the UK in 50 years